[Haskell-cafe] Seeking a small bug-fix for previously-posted code

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Mon Aug 15 03:32:13 EDT 2005

Hello Andy,

Tuesday, August 16, 2005, 2:58:43 AM, you wrote:
AE>   If there were a  "Haskell cookbook" (as there is a Python one), I
AE> would have gone straight there.  I regularly use the "Python cookbook"
AE> site which is very useful . However, until there's a Haskell equivalent
AE> (which then newcomers could be pointed at) ,  it's pretty much a case of
AE> "finding what one can"  ... :-)

i had an idea of creating Haskell cookbook by repeating the Perl's
one, but i think, that the some questions complex for Perl would be
trivial for Haskell, and vice versa

i can recommend you two books for beginners:

"Gentle inroduction to Haskell" http://www.haskell.org/tutorial/haskell-98-tutorial-html.tar.gz
"Yet Another Haskell Tutorial" by Hal Daume III http://www.isi.edu/~hdaume/htut/tutorial.pdf

and book + PowerPoint tutorial by Graham Hutton:

http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh/preview.pdf
http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh/mgs-appsem1.ppt
http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh/mgs-appsem2.ppt
http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh/mgs-appsem3.ppt
http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh/mgs-appsem-exam.pdf
http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh/countdown.pdf

btw, in the "another haskell tutorial" we can read:

There have been many books and tutorials written about Haskell; for a (nearly) complete
list, visit the http://haskell.org/bookshelf (Haskell Bookshelf) at the
Haskell homepage. A brief survey of the tutorials available yields:
- A Gentle Introduction to Haskell is an introduction to Haskell,
given that the reader is familiar with functional programming en large.
- Haskell Companion is a short reference of common concepts and definitions.
- Online Haskell Course is a short course (in German) for beginning
with Haskell.
- Two Dozen Short Lessons in Haskell is the draft of an excellent textbook that
emphasizes user involvement.
- Haskell Tutorial is based on a course given at the 3rd International Summer
School on Advanced Functional Programming.
- Haskell for Miranda Programmers assumes knowledge of the language Miranda.
- PLEAC-Haskell is a tutorial in the style of the Perl Cookbook.

AE>  Many thanks again - I'll make this my last post for at least a week or
AE> two (to give others some bandwidth) -

:-)

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com