[Haskell-cafe] Can't Haskell catch upwith Clean's uniqueness typing?

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Wed Dec 7 08:38:19 EST 2005

Hello Robert,

Wednesday, December 07, 2005, 2:19:22 AM, you wrote:

>> In Clean, you can (and often are required to) assign uniqueness attributes
>> to some parts of a function's type signature. The extended type checker
>> ensures that none of those parts is referred to more than once during a
>> single run of the program. Based on this guarantee, a function does not
>> have to allocate new memory at all to store a unique result but can
>> overwrite the unique arguments in place.
>>
>> My question is - and this might better suit to Haskell -, can't uniqueness
>> be inferred (and exploited) automatically in many cases?

RD> Yes, probably.  There is a technique called sharing analysis that attempts to
RD> determine when a datastructure is only referenced once (ie, NOT shared).  If
RD> you can prove a datastructure node is not shared then you can reuse it
RD> destructively.

may be, John Meacham can say something about it? his JHC compiler uses
region analysis to avoid garbage collection - may be these techniques
has something in common?

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com