[Haskell-cafe] Can't Haskell catch up with Clean's uniqueness typing?

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at jeltsch.net
Thu Dec 8 13:26:01 EST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 8. Dezember 2005 13:08 schrieb
haskell-cafe.mail.zooloo at xoxy.net:
> [...]

> A uniqueness checker can be rather robust, as is demonstrated by the Clean
> one, so all we'd have to worry about is how to find a good set of supposedly
> unique node candidates to suggest to the checker. (It certainly would not
> work well the dumb way, like, trying every single combination out of n^2
> possibilities, where n is the total node count.)

You mean we need a way to detect which expressions are unique and which are
not?  This shouldn't be much of a problem.  A uniqueness type system along
the lines of Clean's one allows not only type checking but also type
inference.  For example, Clean is able to infer all the possible uniqueness
annotations for you.  One could build a similar thing into a Haskell
compiler.

> [...]

Best wishes,
Wolfgang