[Haskell-cafe] Re: Differences in optimisiation with interactive and compiled mo

Branimir Maksimovic bmaxa at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 10 11:02:32 EST 2005

>From: Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer at web.de>
>To: "Branimir Maksimovic" <bmaxa at hotmail.com>
>CC: Haskell-Cafe at haskell.org
>Subject: Re: Differences in optimisiation with interactive and compiled mo
>Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:11:31 +0100
>
>Am Donnerstag, 8. Dezember 2005 19:17 schrieb Branimir Maksimovic:
> > From: Henning Thielemann <lemming at henning-thielemann.de>
> >
> > >To: Branimir Maksimovic <bmaxa at hotmail.com>
> > >CC: haskell-cafe at haskell.org
> > >Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Differences in optimisiation with
>interactive
> > >and compiled mode
> > >Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 18:38:45 +0100 (MET)

> > >http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2005-April/009692.html
> >
> > This is nice and ellegant but example search replace program runs more
> > then 50% faster with my implementation.
> >
> > Greetings, Bane.
> >
>That's probably because Lemmih's is polymorphic.
>Yesterday evening, I cooked up my own version
>
>Then Lemmih's is a bit faster than mine (a bit slower, if compiled for
>profiling) which is still a bit faster than yours (and, profiling, yours is
>significantly slower than the others.

I've fixed function signatures for strings only.
this is my test:
$ ghc -fglasgow-exts  -O2 srchrep.hs --make -o srchrep.exe
Chasing modules from: srchrep.hs
Compiling Main             ( srchrep.hs, srchrep.o )
Linking ...

bmaxa at MAXA ~/tutorial
$ ghc -fglasgow-exts  -O2 replace.hs --make -o replace.exe
Chasing modules from: replace.hs
Compiling Main             ( replace.hs, replace.o )
Linking ...

bmaxa at MAXA ~/tutorial
$ ghc -fglasgow-exts  -O2 searchr.hs --make -o searchr.exe
Chasing modules from: searchr.hs
Compiling Main             ( searchr.hs, searchr.o )
Linking ...

bmaxa at MAXA ~/tutorial
$ time ./searchr.
searchr.exe  searchr.hi   searchr.hs   searchr.o

bmaxa at MAXA ~/tutorial
$ time ./searchr.exe
Working:seaseasearch replace  able seaseaseasearch baker seaseasearch
charlie
True
Done

real    0m12.547s
user    0m0.015s
sys     0m0.000s

bmaxa at MAXA ~/tutorial
$ time ./replace.exe
Working:seaseasearch replace  able seaseaseasearch baker seaseasearch
charlie
True
Done

real    0m21.078s
user    0m0.015s
sys     0m0.015s

bmaxa at MAXA ~/tutorial
$ time ./srchrep.exe
Working:seaseasearch replace  able seaseaseasearch baker seaseasearch
charlie
True
Done

real    0m12.188s