[Haskell-cafe] Bringing Erlang to Haskell

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Mon Dec 12 20:13:54 EST 2005

Hello Joel,

JR> 1) Processes, aka threads with single-slot in/out mailboxes

are you read dewscription of my own Process library in haskell
maillist?

JR> One particular thing that bugs me is that I cannot really use TChan
JR> for thread mailboxes.

i use. but i limit number of messages in this channel by additional
tools. you can easily do the same. but first ask yourself - what you
will gain by this? imho, it will only help to smooth temporary speed
changes. if you just want to test whether this can speed up your
program - implement such limited Channel and test whether it works

btw, i suggested you to try not using logging thread entirely, making
all logging actions synchronously

JR> I found single-slot mailboxes (TMVar) to work much better as they
JR> pace the overall message flow. Using them means that asynchronous
JR> messages cannot be implemented, though.

not exactly. they can hold at most one message

i think that your aspiration to make things asynchronous is just sort
of fashion. what you really want to get?

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com