[Haskell-cafe] First steps in Haskell

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Mon Dec 19 05:14:07 EST 2005

Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
>>The problem is that the content of that page, and its links, didn't show me
>>how to write a Haskell program (like you did).
>
> If you want to know how to feed, for example, Hugs with your Haskell program,
> you might have to have a look at some Hugs documentation.  Remember that
> different Haskell implementations like Hugs, GHCi etc. may have different
> ways of reading Haskell programs.

"remember"?  This is the first time I hear this, and I'm bewildered. I
expect two C compilers to be able to compile a correct C program.
Certainly a "hello world" program. How is it possible that two Haskell
implementations disagree on how to read a Haskell program? (unless it's
an advanced program with very unique compiler features - which is bad).

> On the "Learning Haskell" page you can click, for example, on the "Hugs" link,
> then on "Documentation" and then on "The Hugs 98 User's Guide" or "The Hugs
> 98 User Manual".

I doubt a lot of people who didn't already know about Haskell would
think to click on the manual for the *compiler* instead of the link that
says "Haskell Tutorial".

Best,
Daniel.
--