[Haskell-cafe] Learning about haskell compilers

Jared Updike jupdike at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 11:59:01 EST 2005

You are braver than me, but I must confess I've had the same desire.
Here's a great place to start:

Simon Peyton Jones, David Lester, Implementing functional languages: a tutorial
http://research.microsoft.com/Users/simonpj/Papers/pj-lester-book/

It's long, (sort of old) and written in Miranda (TM of Research Ltd.)
which is sort of a precursor to Haskell, but it should get you a lot
closer to understanding how lazy, pure functional languages work
inside.

You could also learn from the code and documentation of the various
implementations of Haskell: GHC, hugs, nhc, and

- jhc (http://repetae.net/john/computer/jhc/)
- YHC (http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ndm/yhc/) (an nhc derivatibe)
including a portable bytecode compiler

Or you could use GHC and hs-plugins to sort of embed a haskell
compiler into any Haskell program.

   Jared.
jupdike at gmail.com
http://www.updike.org/~jared/