[Haskell-cafe] Re: Tutorial uploaded

Udo Stenzel u.stenzel at web.de
Wed Dec 21 07:10:45 EST 2005

Robin Green wrote:
> If people want Haskell to be treated as a practical language, not just
> something for doing academic teaching and research with, it should be
> taught as a practical language - which means that things like IO and
> space/time usage come to the forefront.

Strange, I always thought predictable, understandable and above all
correct code would be the primary goal, with small and quick code coming
later.  To write interactive Haskell code well, you have to understand
higher order functions.  So the IO monad has to come late in any
tutorial.  Before that, IO should be restricted to the EVA principle
("Eingabe, Verarbeitung, Ausgabe" == "Input, Processing, Output").  It
was a good principle in the 60s, and it still is.  Unless you want to
teach people to program as they would do in Basic, that is.

Udo.
--
You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick
your friend's nose.