[Haskell-cafe] Problems with square root...

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 13:19:07 EST 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 06:10:56PM +0000, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Daniel Carrera wrote:
> >Hey,
> >
> >The sqrt function is not doing what I want. This is what I want:
> >
> >round sqrt(2)
>
> Sigh... never fails. Spend an hour trying to solve a problem, and a
> minute after you write to the list you find the solution. I need
> brackets around sqrt. I'm surprised though. I don't understand why it
> dosn't work without brackets.

In Haskell parentheses are not part of function call syntax, unlike
many languages like C, Pascal or Java. The role of parentheses in
expressions is only for grouping and disambiguation. What you typed is
actually equivalent to

    round sqrt 2

which in turn is equivalent to

    ((round sqrt) 2)

because function application is left-associative.

Best regards
Tomasz