[Haskell-cafe] Killer pickler combinators (was Time leak)

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 16:37:15 EST 2005

I don't want any kind of locking, true. I need all bots to respond in
time otherwise the poker server will sit them out. Eliminating the
timeout on pickling does not eliminate the timeout overall, it just
passes it to a different place.

One thread will go through serialization quickly but it will be too
late by the time it sends a response to the server since it waited a
few seconds for the chance to have a go at serialization. I'm trying
to build 6.5 right now (having trouble, you might have guessed ;))
and will positively study the scheduler. I do not believe thread
priorities are supported in GHC, though.

I had a thought about using continuations but then I would also have
to do selects on a few thousand file descriptors myself. Then I would
have to decide which continuation to run based on priorities. I might
as well patch the GHC scheduler to do what I need. Alternatively, I
can just throw in the towel and rewrite the app in Erlang.

I haven't made a firm decision yet, I think I will make my records
storable first as you can't get "any closer to the metal". If that
does not work then I will just give up. I do have other apps to write
in Haskell but it will be a pity if this one does not work out.

	Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/