[Haskell-cafe] Re: When to teach IO

Ketil Malde ketil.malde at bccs.uib.no
Thu Dec 22 05:36:13 EST 2005

"Bayley, Alistair" <Alistair_Bayley at ldn.invesco.com> writes:

> Hear, hear. Compilers, and computationally complex programs in general,
> are atypical. IMO, a lot of programming these days is integration work
> i.e. shuffling and transforming data from one system to another, or
> transforming data for reports, etc. Not many programmers write compilers
> these days :-(

I'm sorry, but, if we define "compiler" as a input->process->output
pipeline, then:

  "shuffling and transforming data" = compiler
  "transforming data for reports" = compiler

I actually think a lot of useful programs fit into that category.
(I certainly hesitate to accept the alternative, i.e. to admit that
all my programs are useless :-)

-k