[Haskell-cafe] Substring replacements

Branimir Maksimovic bmaxa at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 23 10:12:34 EST 2005

>From: Bulat Ziganshin <bulatz at HotPOP.com>
>To: "Branimir Maksimovic" <bmaxa at hotmail.com>
>CC: haskell-cafe at haskell.org
>Subject: Re[2]: [Haskell-cafe] Substring replacements
>Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 11:32:01 +0300
>
>Hello Branimir,
>
>Wednesday, December 21, 2005, 10:18:43 AM, you wrote:
>
> >>try to add
> >>
> >>{-# NOINLINE replace #-}
> >>
> >>to both programs and repeat comparision
>
>BM> These are tests:
>BM> No optimisations (no -O):
>
>NOINLINE just prevents RunTimeCompilation (see wiki page for details),
>so this way you will test speed of "replace" on previously unknown
>string. disabling optimization says nothing about real speed of
>optimized program, which searches for the many different strings

I got it. These tests were with NOINLINE in both cases but I didn;t
saw any speed difference in results as actually replace (straight)
and searchReplace (KMP) is just called for two differnet strings.
Perhaps if I call that for long list of short patterns patterns on short
string,
test would display different results (INLINE wouldn't help).
I'll try that next.

Greetings, Bane.