[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Speed

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 23 15:26:19 EST 2005

On 23 December 2005 19:15, Daniel Carrera wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm taking a look at the "Computer Language Shootout Benchmarks".
>
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/
>
> It looks like Haskell doesn't do very well. It seems to be near the
> bottom of the pile in most tests. Is this due to the inherent design
> of Haskell or is it merely the fact that GHC is young and hasn't had
> as much time to optimize as other compilers?

GHC? young?  We celebrated GHC's 10th birthday a couple of years ago :-)

Also, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that GHC wipes the
floor with nearly everyone in the concurrency benchmark:

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/benchmark.php?test=message&lang=all

Seriously, it's very difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions from
these benchmarks.

Cheers,
	Simon