[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell Speed

Bill Wood william.wood3 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 29 16:47:34 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 15:56 -0500, Albert Lai wrote:
   . . .
> one-pass fast method, since for almost a decade no one did it.  Most
> of us had to wait until someone figured it out and then we had Turbo

Judging from comments by U. Ammann [1],[2], part of the original Pascal
implementation team at ETH Zurich, the first Pascal compiler for the CDC
6x00 family of computers was written in 1970-1971, and a second was
developed from scratch for the same computers but compiling the revised
language, was written in 1972-1974.  I think both of these compilers
were one-pass.

 -- Bill Wood

[1] U. Ammann, "The Zurich Implementation", in D.W. Barron (ed.),
    _Pascal, The Language and its Implementation_, pp. 63-82, John Wiley
    and Sons, 1981.

[2] U. Ammann, "Code Generation for a Pascal Compiler", in D.W. Barron
    (ed.),  _Pascal, The Language and its Implementation_, pp. 83-124,
    John Wiley and Sons, 1981.