[Haskell-cafe] Top 20 ``things'' to know in Haskell

Jacques Carette carette at mcmaster.ca
Mon Feb 7 10:31:30 EST 2005

The recent post of Graham Klyne (below) reminds me that I have meant to ask:
is there a ``top 20'' things a serious programmer should know when writing
code in Haskell?  Of course there is a lot of programming language theory
that would be great to know, but I mean really down-to-earth things like the
2 items below (module Maybe, the 'maybe' function).

The Haskell libraries are quite large, and it is unrealistic to try to get
familiar with all of them right away.  But getting a ``small'' list would be
very useful - I think of this as step 2 after one learns to get comfortable
with a language.  I had done this (for Maple) for training new hires at
Maplesoft, and I definitely noticed that they became more idiomatic
programmers faster this way.

Jacques

PS: of course, this could already exist on haskell.org and/or the Wiki, but
not in an 'obvious' enough place as I missed it...