[Haskell-cafe] Numeric vs. relative precedences of infix operators

ajb at spamcop.net ajb at spamcop.net
Mon Feb 28 23:46:51 EST 2005

G'day all.

Quoting karczma at info.unicaen.fr:

> "Widely accepted" is a widely accepted relativism...
> I am also annoyed by the precedences 0,1,2, ...,9, etc.
>
> Why not 10, 20, 30,... ??

I _think_ we had this back around Haskell 1.1 (which I never used, but
early Gofers also had it).  Moreover, operators could also have arbitrary
"fixity" (prefix, infix, postfix).

I'm not sure why this feature was dropped, but it's probably to do with
the fact that when you do this, the language no longer has a managable LR
grammar.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage