[Haskell-cafe] Problem with fundeps.

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 4 08:00:43 EST 2005

I can see why you think it "ought" to work.  The instance decls
	instance (Vspace a v) => Vspace a (c->v)
	instance Num a => Vspace a a
certainly overlap, but GHC does something sensible with the overlap, and
that's presumably what you want.  BUT the functional-dependency
mechanism doesn't have the same resolution mechanism for overlap, and so
it thinks both might match, and hence rejects the program.

So yet another GHC enhancement might be to combine instance selection
with the improvement coming from functional dependencies.
Operationally, given a constraint,
	match it against possible instance decls using only the types
	*before* the arrow in the fundep (the 'v' in the case of Vspace)

	once an instance is chosen, the usual overlap-resolution stuff,
	use the fundep to force the other type(s) to match

Hmmm.  Has anyone else come across this?

Meanwhile, why couldn't you have this:

	instance (Vspace a v) => Vspace a (c->v)
	instance Vspace Int Int
	instance Vspace Float Float
	etc

That is, one instance for each base type?  You only have a finite number
of base types, so this might not be too bad.

Simon