[Haskell-cafe] Building GUIs for Haskell programs

John Velman velman at cox.net
Tue Jan 11 15:47:16 EST 2005

Here is an answer from a newbie at both Haskell and GUI --

I don't think there is a simple answer.  It probably depends on your
experience, your development platform, and where you want to be able to
distribute your application to.  I would say that wxHaskell is probably a
good choice.  It depends on wxWindows, which seems to be fairly well
developed, and is said to work on all reasonable platforms.

Here is my story:

I've done little GUI programming -- some MS Visual C++ and visual basic
years ago, a little perlTK more recently.  I have some familiarity with
TCL/TK from my perlTK experience.   I'm developing on a Linux platform
(Slackware 9) and have GHC 6.2.2.

I looked at, and tried several of the Haskell libraries as listed at
http://www.haskell.org/libraries/#guis

Because of my previous experience with TCL/TK, I wanted to use a TK based
solution initially.  I had problems (I've forgotten what :-) with
TCLHaskell, and went on to HTk.  The HTk package seems pretty nice, but
probably because of my inexperience with Haskell, I found it difficult to
understand.

wxHaskell seems to be the most popular vehicle, so I decided to look into
it, partly based on some advice I got from this list.

I had no trouble compiling and installing wxWindows (specifically,
wxGTK-2.4.2).  I also compiled from source wxHaskell with no problem.

Although the documentation is a bit cryptic (for my level of experience, at
least), and even though I have no past experience with wxWindows, I am able
to figure out how to do what I want to do, so far.

So, based on my experience, I can recommend wxHaskell.

Best regards,

John Velman