[Haskell-cafe] Hugs for Zaurus

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Mon Jan 24 12:31:21 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 04:48:49PM +0000, Graham Klyne wrote:
> At 20:15 21/01/05 +0000, John Goerzen wrote:
> >I have built a fixed Hugs for the Zaurus PDA running the OpenZaurus
> >distribution.  Download here:
> >http://quux.org/devel/zaurus/hugs_hugs98-Nov2003-r1_arm.ipk
>
> Cool!
>
> I've often thought Haskell should be a good language for programming PDA
> functions, as a kind of super-calculator.  Now I've seen versions mentioned
> for two PDAs, but no Palm yet.

Out of curiosity, do you know what the other PDA is?

I suspect the reason there's nothing for Palm is because one probably
can't just port to it in the normal sense.  For isntance, until
recently, PalmOS had no notion of a filesystem, though it does have
simplistic database functions built in and a type/creator thing similar
to older versions of MacOS.  Memory is also quite constrained on many
Palms, and I think management is different than in standard C, but I'm
not certain of that.

The port to Zaurus is easy because it is a real OS (Linux) on it.  Even
comes with a terminal emulator.  And one can run Debian or X
(www.pdaxrom.org) on it, too.  It's a good PDA for a geek :-)

-- John