[Haskell-cafe] What are the MonadPlus laws?

Paul Hudak paul.hudak at yale.edu
Tue Jan 25 14:00:38 EST 2005

I believe that these are the relevant laws of class MonadPlus:

   m >>= (\x -> mzero) = mzero
   mzero >>= m         = mzero

   m `mplus` mzero = m
   mzero `mplus` m = m

You can get some intuition for this by thinking of mplus as +, mzero as
0, and >>= as multiplication.

I haven't follow much at all of this thread, but, for what it's worth,
IO should NOT be instance of MonadPlus, because it has no zero element.
  For if it did, the IO action:

   putStr "hello" >> mzero

would not print "hello", which is counterintuitive, and in practice I
wouldn't know how to implement it.

-Paul

P.S. All of the above is in my book :-)