[Haskell-cafe] Re: Visual Programming Languages

Bayley, Alistair Alistair_Bayley at ldn.invesco.com
Wed Jan 26 04:13:56 EST 2005

> From: Stijn De Saeger [mailto:stijndesaeger at gmail.com]
>
> Don't know if this is exactly what you were thinking of, but you may
> want to have a look at
> www.subtextual.org
>
> if you do, make sure you watch the demo.

This was odd...

Some cherry-picked quotes from the manifesto:
  http://alarmingdevelopment.org/index.php?p=5

 - Visual languages are not the solution: ... common idea is to replace AST
structures with some form of graphical diagram. ...

 - Programming is not Mathematics

 - Change is natural: There has been much effort expended to remove the
concept of mutable state from programming, to be replaced by immutable
values as in mathematics. This is entirely misguided. ... Monads are a
reductio ad absurdum.  [ Heresy! :-) ]

 - Control flow considered harmful:  ... The primary reason for this is to
permit side-effects to be ordered by the programmer. ... [ This appears to
contradict the criticism of monads. ]

But then the demo shows us how to define a Factorial function using an
editor that (AFAICT) is simply operating on AST structures, in a
tree-oriented layout. I must be missing something.

Alistair.

Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this   message, and any
attachments, may contain confidential   and/or privileged material. It is
intended solely for the   person(s) or entity to which it is addressed. Any
review,   retransmission, dissemination, or taking of any action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other   than the
intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you received  this in error, please
contact the sender and delete the   material from any computer.