[Haskell-cafe] Re: library documentation

Arthur van Leeuwen arthurvl at cs.uu.nl
Thu Jan 27 08:30:54 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 12:41:27PM -0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> On 27 January 2005 10:46, Peter Simons wrote:
>
> > Isaac Jones writes:
> >
> >  > http://www.haskell.org/hawiki/LibraryDocsNeedingHelp
> >
> > This is a great idea.

> > I have been thinking .... you know what would make
> > contribution to the library efforts even simpler? If they
> > were available in a Darcs repository.

> > Saying "darcs push" after you've spontaneously added a
> > three-line explanation into a standard library is a lot more
> > attractive than "cvs diff", cutting and pasting that diff
> > into an editor, and e-mailing it to the -libraries list.
> > (Who submits a diff for three lines of documentation?)

> > One of the reasons why Darcs is great is that it makes
> > submitting changes very simple for _everybody_.

> This would be great, but unfortunately the activation energy is quite
> high: we're already pretty committed to CVS, so we either move over to
> darcs wholesale, or we keep GHC in CVS and libraries in darcs.  Neither
> is particularly attractive right now - darcs isn't ready for projects
> the size of GHC (at least, last I looked), and having a split repository
> would be a nightmare.

However, having a darcs repository just for the docs would be better
than having a wiki, right? That way you have a central repository
with documentation all ready to go in the format you'd need to enter
into CVS, and then once in a while, e.g. when a new GHC release is
imminent, someone goes through the burden of going through all the
documentation submissions and incorporates those that are applicable
in the CVS tree...

The beauty of darcs, as I see it, is that a repository is basically
a directory structure with some metadata inside it, and that
directorystructure can just as easily *also* be under CVS...

Doei, Arthur.

--
  /\    / |       arthurvl at cs.uu.nl       | Work like you don't need the money
 /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt