[Haskell-cafe] Re: ocr'ed version of "The implementation offunctional languages"

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Mon Jan 31 13:48:28 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 09:56:45AM -0000, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> Matthew
>
> Yes, I'm happy for you to OCR the book, but can I ask that whatever you get be made accessible from my web site, so there's one place people can go to find everything that's available?
>
> What would OCR buy us?  Searching, I guess, which is a fantastic plus.  Anything else?
>
> Thanks very much for offering to help.  I've replied to haskell-café, so everyone knows what's up, but we can now save everyone's bandwidth by narrowing the thread to Ivan, Marnie (who did the original work), you, and me.  If anyone else wants to join in, do yell.

An OCRed version might help with my publishing the book via cafepress.
The basic problem is that in order to create a pdf from the tiffs, I end
up embedding the raw bitmap data (at a very high resolution for decent
printing) and end up with a pdf that is way to big for cafepress to
handle (even with bitmap compression). I have had some luck with
autotrace and other tools to turn bitmaps into outlines, but not any
that produced readable output of a suitable size. if the text were
OCRed, then I could use outline fonts and considerably improve the
printed quality and keep the file size down. I am not sure how easy it
will be to integrate the output of the OCR software into an appropriate
pdf, but I can try.
        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈