[Haskell-cafe] matrix computations based on the GSL

Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jul 8 10:08:05 EDT 2005

Henning Thielemann wrote:

>I'm excited if your code gets swamped by conversions between Double and
>Matrix then. I really plead for representing everything with strings, this
>is the most simple and most flexible solution! :-]

Surely its a case of balancing the advantage of type safety against the
added complexity. The point after all is to reduce bugs. Type-sigs reduce
one type of bug, at the cost of an increase in complexity. My argument is
that at some point the probability of introducing errors due to the
increased
complexity outweighs the reduction in the probability of error due to
type-safety?

I think this is a pragmatic point, that cannot be argued with, all you
can argue over
is where in the continuum this point is.

As such we were dicussing the complexity/type-safety trade off with
respect to
matrices - to go from this to such a sweeping statment... is like saying
'if I can't have it my way I don't want anything at all"...

    Keean.