[Haskell-cafe] Re: matrix computations based on the GSL

Aaron Denney wnoise at ofb.net
Thu Jul 14 14:13:56 EDT 2005

On 2005-07-07, Henning Thielemann <lemming at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
> My point was that vectors naturally do _not_ represent linear maps at all,
> but they are the objects linear maps act on. If I process an audio signal
> or an image I can consider it well as vector but why should I consider it
> as linear map?

Yes, they do.  given a vector "a" in R^n, there are natural, invertible
maps co(x): R^n -> R = (a dot x), and scale(b) : R -> R^n = (b * a).
These contain all the information in the vector, and do come up
naturally in some cases.  (Consider a similarity metric on images --
co is a natural one).

--
Aaron Denney
-><-