[Haskell-cafe] Re: Lists vs. Monads

Jonathan Cast jcast at ou.edu
Sun Jul 24 09:34:04 EDT 2005

oleg at pobox.com wrote:

<snip>
> Jonathan Cast wrote:

> ] OK.  Right.  I forgot about the Church encoding.
>
> I'm afraid just using Church encoding in the typed setting without any
> recursive datatypes whatsoever may be problematic.

OK.  Wrong terminology on my part.  Sorry.  I am afraid in any case that
my interest was attracted solely by  the question ``what does it mean to
say that lists  are monads'', and all of this  encoding theory seems (a)
irrelevant and  (b) beside the  point to me.   If you want to  offer any
further definitive statement on the  question ``can we get lists without
recursive  types'',  go  ahead;  my  interest  in  the  topic  is  quite
exhausted.

<snip>

Jon Cast