[Haskell-cafe] G machine in FORTH

Dimitry Golubovsky dimitry at golubovsky.org
Wed Jun 1 23:00:15 EDT 2005

Andrew Harris wrote:

>    I've been thinking about writing a G-machine interpreter in FORTH
> so that one could write Haskell like programs that would compile down
> and run "graph-reduction" style on the FORTH machine.
>
>    Many developers think FORTH is nice, but the language is so, shall
> we say, "terse".
>
>    I'm curious about what people think about this; having the
> expressiveness of a Haskell-like language that compiles to this
> environment might provide the best of both worlds, simple hardware
> architecture and an advanced programming language.

IMHO Koopman's "TIGRE" (http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~koopman/tigre/) might be
a close approximation of what you want.

I had some (rather non-serious) experience with Forth, and I had great
pleasure reading Koopman's paper on TIGRE. Unfortunately I couldn't find
any further development on this topic (although I saw some later
Koopman's publications on Forth itself). I guess, only someone "thinking
Forth" (as in the Brodie's book) might develop such a thing.

Dimitry Golubovsky
Middletown, CT