[Haskell-cafe] matrix computations based on the GSL

Alberto Ruiz aruiz at um.es
Wed Jun 29 04:22:28 EDT 2005

Hello all! This is my first message to the list.

In my work I often need linear algebra algorithms and other numeric
computations. An option is using scientific computing systems like Matlab,
Mathematica, Maple, etc. In Haskell there are several modules and bindings to
matrix libraries; many of them are excellent. But I think that Haskell would
be even more attractive if the basic matrix computations (what we find, for
example, in the GNU Octave Quick Reference) were easily available in a
standard library.

We have all we need: an interactive environment, excellent graphics
(HOpenGL), FFI and ForeignPtr with automatic garbage collection, QuickCheck,
etc. Computations can be implemented by the GSL (GNU Scientific Library), a
well designed numerical library written in C.

Well... I know that I am trying to reinvent the wheel: I am working on a user
friendly functional interface to matrix computations based on the GSL. I
think that many numeric problems that can be solved using Octave or a
similar system can be also solved more elegantly using Haskell.

The library is very preliminary and incomplete but some simple problems can
already be solved. The sources, haddock documentation and the draft of a
tutorial can be found at:

http://dis.um.es/~alberto/hmatrix/matrix.html

I am not a Haskell expert, I only use the most basic programming techniques,
so any suggestion will be greatly appreciated...

Alberto