[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: GHC survey results

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Jun 30 05:36:37 EDT 2005

| If anything I would like to see the Haskell community produce a
Haskell
| front end which was compiler neutral. That would facilitate many
| interesting projects, and that might even help with the need to
support
| new extensions as they come along. There are already some candidates
| floating around, but it seems they are not widely adopted.

Well, "ghc -c -fext-core Foo.hs" is a Haskell front end that produces
System F code ("External Core"), in a file Foo.hcr.  I'm not sure
whether that was what you meant.

However, External Core doesn't seem to have really caught on.   Only 5%
said it was essential, with another 16% saying "nice to have".  I'm sure
there's room to improve the ExtCore route.

Simon