[Haskell-cafe] invalid character encoding

Wolfgang Thaller wolfgang.thaller at gmx.net
Thu Mar 17 23:16:41 EST 2005

> If you try to pretend that I18N comes down to shoe-horning everything
> into Unicode, you will turn the language into a joke.

How common will those problems you are describing be by the time this
has been implemented?
How common are they even now?
I haven't yet encountered a unix box where the file names were not in
the system locale encoding. On all reasonably up-to-date Linux boxes
that I've seen recently, they were in UTF-8 (and the system locale
agreed).
On both Windows and Mac OS X, filenames are stored in Unicode, so it is
always possible to convert them to unicode.
So we can't do Unicode-based I18N because there exist a few unix
systems with messed-up file systems?

> Haskell's Unicode support is a joke because the API designers tried to
> avoid the issues related to encoding with wishful thinking (i.e. you
> open a file and you magically get Unicode characters out of it).

OK, that part is purely wishful thinking, but assuming that filenames
are text that can be represented in Unicode is wishful thinking that
corresponds to 99% of reality. So why can't the remaining 1 percent of
reality be fixed instead?

Cheers,

Wolfgang