[Haskell-cafe] Specify array or list size?

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at digitaldistribution.com
Sat May 7 15:17:23 EDT 2005

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:

> Your mistake is the "start talking about groups as you do in every day
> English" part.

The point I'm trying to make is that you can't necessarily predict that
a programming language will abscribe special meaning to standard known
words like "group" or "list". I can very well talk about a list without
knowing that the members of this list (see?) might have a special
meaning for that word that I'm not aware of. You can't possibly forsee
that sort of thing. It is not a mistake to use the word "group" to mean
what it means in English, I can't possibly know that an Algebraist has a
particular definition of "group" that differs from every-day use.

Cheers,
Daniel.