[Haskell-cafe] Haskell for non-mathematicians (was: Specify array or list size?)

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Tue May 10 13:40:40 EDT 2005

Hello Sebastian,

Tuesday, May 10, 2005, 8:39:23 PM, you wrote:

SS>  I think that runtime error
>> messages given in terms of VALUES instead of compile-time error
>> messages given in terms of TYPES are easier to understand for novice.
>> also, strict regulations on datatypes are needed for professional
>> program development, but will be just needless complication for
>> learning concept of programming itself. even for mathematician Ruby
>> will be a good choice
>>

SS> I disagree.
SS> Types is a very important concept and I think that should be
SS> emphasized in the first lecture. If one goes through types _and_
SS> values from the very beginning a strongly typed language will be of
SS> the same aid to beginners as it is to experts.

imvho, exposing types to non-professionals is like exposing light
theory to a kid which just want to draw a picture. values are just
enough to these peoples

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com