[Haskell-cafe] Python?

Pierre Barbier de Reuille pierre.barbier at cirad.fr
Wed May 11 03:26:02 EDT 2005

Daniel Carrera a écrit :
> Quinn Dunkan wrote:
>
>> Python has first class functions and lexical scoping, and encourages
>> higher-order functions, though to a much lesser degree than a real
>> functional language.
>

> I was surprised to hear about first class functions and higher order
> functions. So I googled for a bit, and I found something neat:
>
> ---<snip>---
> # Python implementation of Common Lisp's remove_if
> def remove_if(predicate, lst):
>     return [elem for elem in lst if not predicate(elem)]
>
> print remove_if(lambda x:x % 2, [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8])
> ---<snip>---
>
> This is so cool. So there we have a higher order function, passing a
> funtion as an argument, and even lambda notation. Neat.

Well, I would not recommand using lambda functions ! The main reason is
they are limited in that they only accept expressions (ie. not
statements) and you can end up with very ugly things (mainly because of
the lack of if-expressions).

Better use local functions for the same goal ! So your example becomes:

 >>> def is_even(x):
...   return x%2
 >>> print remove_if(is_even, [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8])

Or even better:

 >>> def is_even(x):
...   return x%2
 >>> print remove_if(is_even, xrange(1,9))

And as local functions have lexical closure this is very interesting
(much more than lambda).