[Haskell-cafe] ghc 6.4 import problem (Map vs. FiniteMap)

Christian Maeder maeder at tzi.de
Tue May 31 10:42:15 EDT 2005

Daniel Fischer wrote:
> Indeed, I have looked at the sources and found out that now the
> implementations of 'Set' and 'Map' are basically the same.

The major achievement of (the new) Data.Set and Data.Map are canonical
names that should be used in conjunction with qualified imports:

import qualified Data.Set as Set
import qualified Data.Map as Map
import Data.List as List

> Presumably the new implementation of size-balanced trees is (much?) more
> efficient than the old one from 'FiniteMap'.

There is no difference in efficiency, Data.Map is not slower than the
old FiniteMap.

Cheers Christian