[Haskell-cafe] Information on B-Tree IO implemenations

Scott Weeks weeksie at twelvestone.com
Sun Nov 6 02:53:20 EST 2005

Hello all,

I'm a newbie and while I grasp some of the basics of FP I have yet to
really understand the guts of Haskell. The type system is starting to
clear up for me and so are Monads but I have a long way to go.

For a project that I'm working on I need to implement a B-Tree or
similar disk based data structure for storing large amounts of data. I
feel like I'm getting it and then I get hung up on disk IO operations
and trying to figure out how they should fit into the mix.

I'm not necessarily looking for someone to point me at an
implementation (although I wouldn't mind) but if someone could point me
in the direction of some material that could shed a light on things I
would be much obliged.

I've read some Okasaki and found a promising paper called "Database
Manipulation in Haskell 1.3" by Kevin Hammond and Phil Trinder but
while they talk to the data structures themselves they don't quite get
around to mentioning how they achieve the IO part of the equation.

Thanks,

Scotty Weeks