[Haskell-cafe] GHC cannot compile my code

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 11:06:05 EST 2005

Folks,

I'm on Mac OSX 10.4.3 with 1Gb of memory and GHC 6.4.1. I'm using
HList to define 92 structures in a module. I'm not using classes.

There's some nesting going on (see below). Few datypes above are
data, mostly they are newtypes around Word32s, Strings, and lists of
those. I have 40 newtypes that wrap HLists and homogeneous lists of
HList types, 52 are type  aliases around HLists.

Both with and without -O ghc cannot compile my module. I run out of
physical memory within 2-3 minutes and then it's just swapping (I
think) and the system becomes totally unresponsive.

Any ideas how to remedy this? I shudder at thinking about compiling
this on Windows with 256Mb of memory. I will try to split the module
into smaller modules and will report my findings.

	Thanks, Joel

P.S.

Some example types:

newtype Tables = Tables [TableInfo] deriving (Show, Typeable)

type TableInfo =
     AvgPot :*:
     NumPlayers :*:
     Waiting :*: