[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Making Haskell more open

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Sun Nov 13 17:13:22 EST 2005

Am Sonntag, 13. November 2005 22:22 schrieb Gour:
>[...]
> Besides that, 'txt2tags-like technology' is already in use for some time
> - e.g AFT (http://www.maplefish.com/todd/aft.html) dating back in '99
> and XMLmind XML Editor has plugin which supports (similar) markup called
> APT (http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/_distrib/doc/apt/apt_format.html)
> [...]

Great! If you have already an XML editor, start writing DocBook now! :-)

More seriously: This is again a useless tools discussion, we *are* using
DocBook currently and it works fine. The real problem is not the XML format
and any XML toolchain, it is the lack of people willing to write
documentation. There are enough people in the various fptools projects
(including me) who will happily and quickly accept documentation patches, be
it in plain text or DocBook. And if we are honest: Whoever will contribute to
the GHC/Happy/... documentation with a non-trivial amount of text has very
probably suffered through the build process, anyway, and getting the XML
tools up and running has been the least problem then...

Cheers,
   S.

P.S.: In a Google search, DocBook XML dominated txt2tags by a factor of 29,
and an amazon.de search showed 7:0 books... >:-)