[Haskell-cafe] Infinite lists and lambda calculus (was: Detecting Cycles in Datastructures)

Cale Gibbard cgibbard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 19:59:33 EST 2005

On 18/11/05, Greg Woodhouse <gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> --- Lennart Augustsson <lennart at augustsson.net> wrote:
>
> I guess I'm not doing a very good job of expressing myself. I see that
> if you define Y as you do, then the various functions you list have the
> property that Y f = f (Y f).
>
> I don't want to draw out a boring discussion that is basically about my
> own qualms here, especially since I haven't really been able to
> articulate what it is that bothers me.
>
> Perhaps the issue is that the manipulations below are purely syntactic,
> and though they work, it is not at all clear how to make contact with
> other notions of computability. Perhaps it is that
>
> Y = (\f. (\x. f (x x)) (\x. f (x x)))

In a sense, the real definition of Y is Y f = f (Y f), this lambda
term just happens to have that property, but such functions aren't
rare.
One fun one is:

Y = (L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L)
where
L = λabcdefghijklmnopqstuvwxyzr. (r (t h i s i s a f i x e d p o i n t
c o m b i n a t o r))