[Haskell-cafe] Records

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Nov 21 14:43:24 EST 2005

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:

> Ketil Malde wrote:
> [about A.b and A . b potentially meaning different things:]
>> Syntax that changes depending on spacing is my number
>> one gripe with the Haskell syntax

I also think that it is problematic that a character which can be part of
an alpha-numeric identifier can also be part of an infix operator
identifier. This is the cause of the relevance of the spacing. 'A+b' and
'A + b' always mean the same, but 'A.b' and 'A . b' do not. Very
confusing.

> Hence, spacing being significant is not Haskell-specific

So Haskell is somehow BASICish -- how awful.

> and is generally a good thing.

FORTRAN is even more space sensitive ...