[Haskell-cafe] Records

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho antti-juhani at kaijanaho.info
Tue Nov 22 03:39:22 EST 2005

Tomasz Zielonka wrote:
> Aren't C and C++ space insensitive (except the preprocessor)?

Literally, yes, because the C and C++ compilers proper take preprocessor
tokens, not strings, as input, and hence do not see the whitespace at
all; the whitespace-sensitive tokenization having been completed by the
preprocessor.  But I think that's splitting hairs, so my answer is: not
in the sense I was using that word. I don't know in what sense you use it.

(In a totally space insensitive language, "andy" and "and y" would be
tokenized the same way.)

Personally, I don't see how A.x vs. A . x is much different from that.
When using "." as an operator, I separate it by spaces from the other
stuff. (Personally, I would even expect A.x, where A is not a module
name, to be an error in 98-esque Haskell, but it isn't.)
--
Antti-Juhani