[Haskell-cafe] Monads in Java, Joy, OCaml, Perl, Prolog, Python, Ruby, and Scheme was Re: Other languages using monads?

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr
Thu Nov 24 18:46:47 EST 2005

Lennart Augustsson:

> Shae Matijs Erisson wrote:
>> Gregory Woodhouse <gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net> writes:
>>> My knowledge of functional programming is pretty much limited to
>>> Haskell,
>>> Scheme, and a smattering of Common Lisp. Are there languages other than
>>> Haskell that explicitly use monads? How about "not so explicitly"?
>>

>> Java http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dherman/code/monads/JavaMonads.tar.gz
>> Joy http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.concatenative/1506
>> OCaml

Nobody mentioned the most obvious example - the language which is most
similar to Haskell, but whose authors simply prefer a bit lowel-level
mechanisms, although monads *can* be used as well - if you wish.

Clean
http://www.cs.ru.nl/~clean/

Such Haskell-implemented monads as list/nondeterminism or Maybe, go without
any changements. State/IO use the unique types.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk