[Haskell-cafe] Re: Monads in Java, Joy, OCaml, Perl, Prolog, Python, Ruby, and Scheme was Re: Other languages using monads?

Geoffrey Alan Washburn geoffw at cis.upenn.edu
Sat Nov 26 08:47:35 EST 2005

Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> Am Samstag, 26. November 2005 03:56 schrieb Geoffrey Alan Washburn:
>> [lots of code]
>
> It's interesting to note how verbose Java is in comparison to Haskell, at
> least, concerning this monad stuff.

	I'd agree.  However, my original point was that my version that uses
generics is still significantly less verbose than the version without.
I think much of the overhead is that Java simply doesn't do as much type
inference for you.  Scala can do much better still because it has
first-class functions and algebraic data types ("case classes").