[Haskell-cafe] Re: Interest in helping w/ Haskell standard

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Thu Oct 13 12:54:35 EDT 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> As someone who is not an academic researcher and not a student in CS,
> I would like to express a personal opinion; we don't need a new
> standard. To me, Haskell needs more libraries, more users (which means
> more debugging and more documentations), more implementations, of
> course more real applications (darcs did a lot of the success of
> Haskell), so we can read their code, push sysadmins to install
> Haskell, etc.

A new standard that confirmed that new features in ghc are _not_
standard might go even further in that direction.  But I think
it's more realistic to hope for the emergence some day of a new,
Haskell-like language that does have this real world orientation,
as unlikely as that may be, and look at ghc as a fermenting source
of ideas and experience that can help make that happen.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com