[Haskell-cafe] Re: Interest in helping w/ Haskell standard

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Sat Oct 15 02:00:54 EDT 2005

David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> writes:

>> Bah, simple libraries.  They don't have to be part of the Standard
>> Prelude.

> I completely agree.  I'd rather decrease the number of libraries defined in
> the language itself and decouple library standardization from the
> definition of the language standard.  Libraries can much more easily be
> developed and improved.

I'd vote for moving map, null and lookup from Prelude to an explicit
List import (like insert already is).  They tend to be used by
collections (Data.Set, Map etc), which complicates imports or requires
unnecessary qualification.

Alternatively, as (List.)map and null are very common, use different
names for other collections (fmap? isEmpty?).

As a general rule, I think libraries shouldn't overload names imported
implicitly from the Prelude.  (I know it is fashionable to qualify
everything this week, but I prefer to be able to use unqualified names
occasionally as well).

-k