[Haskell-cafe] Regular Expressions without GADTs

Martin Sulzmann sulzmann at comp.nus.edu.sg
Tue Oct 18 02:24:24 EDT 2005

GADTs have the problem that they're not extensible,
but type classes are! Imagine if we add regular hedges.
So, I think Oleg has a point here.

Oleg's solution may look rather cryptic. But if we recall that
type class instances describe proof systems, then Oleg's solutions
starts looking quite elegant. Note that the GADTs serve the same
purpose, i.e. encoding proof rules. An interesting question is whether
there's something GADTs can do "better" than type classes and vice
versa.

Here's an example, many regexp algorithms can be formulated
co-inductively. We'll have trouble to encode these algorithms
with "standard" type classes, unless we consider some type
class extensions (if this sounds interesting check out
the "co-induction type class" paper on my home-page).
I don't think this will cause trouble for GADTs.

Martin