[Haskell-cafe] FFI and modifying haskell memory

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 09:39:37 EDT 2005

Folks,

I stumbled upon this when binding the Zlib library and want to make
sure I'm doing this right.

foreign import ccall unsafe "uncompress" uncompress_ ::
     Ptr Word8 -> Ptr CULong -> Ptr Word8 -> CULong -> IO CInt

You give this function the address of your size as second argument
and it updates size for you. basic uncompress(char* buf, unsigned
long *size, ...) for you.

Is it correct that I need to allocate a chunk of 4 bytes to be passed
into C and updated there and then need to peek my value from that
chunk of memory?

I thought StablePtr would give me the address of a Haskell value but
it gives me an offset into some table instead.

     Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/