[Haskell-cafe] QuickCheckM for IO testing was Re: Quickcheck examples and Data.Word32

Shae Matijs Erisson shae at ScannedInAvian.com
Thu Oct 27 12:12:20 EDT 2005

Joel Reymont <joelr1 at gmail.com> writes:

> > I would very much like to see QuickCheckM extended to handle IO directly.
> > I've wanted to use QuickCheck to test TCP/IP stacks for unhandled cases.
> > Think of the entertainment value :-)
>
> Is this gonna be in the next version of QuickCheck? Or can it be implemented
> now?

You'd have to monadify the internals of QuickCheck. QC depends on each monad
having a 'run' function :: (m a -> a), which works for ST, but not IO.

Thomas Jäger described the necessary changes to me on irc some months ago,
Search for QuickCheckM in http://tunes.org/~nef/logs/haskell/05.03.21
I haven't gotten around to trying to implement them yet.
If you do implement these changes, I'd definitely jump in and help.
--
Shae Matijs Erisson - http://www.ScannedInAvian.com/ - Sockmonster once said:
You could switch out the unicycles for badgers, and the game would be the same.