[Haskell-cafe] Functional vs Imperative

Dhaemon dhaemon at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 09:45:52 EDT 2005

Hello,
I'm quite interested in haskell, but there is something I don't
understand(intuitively). I've been crawling the web for an answer, but
nothing talks to me...
So I was hoping I could find some help here:
"How is evaluating an expression different from performing action?"
I'm puzzled... Doesn't it amount to the same thing? Maybe I have a wrong
definition of "evaluating"(determine the value of an expression)?
Examples would be appreciated.
Also, just for kicks, may I had this: I read the code of some haskell-made
programs and was astonished. Yes! It was clean and all, but there were "do"s
everywhere... Why use a function language if you use it as an imperative
one?(i.e. most of the apps in http://haskell.org/practice.html)

Thanks in advance,