[Haskell-cafe] Haskell versus Lisp

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 09:35:15 EDT 2005

I have faced these issues twice, always starting from Lisp and moving
on somewhere else. There's more on my travails at http://
wagerlabs.com/tech and http://wagerlabs.com/uptick.

I implemented a poker engine in Lisp but it appeared that to deliver
it on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX I would need to buy 3 commercial
Lisp licenses. The total cost would have been about 4K euro +
maintenance fees for LispWorks and about 18K USD + 25% maintenance
fees for Allegro CL. Allegro also comes with royalties of less than
10%. Windows Lisps are GPL so I could not use them.

What turned me off with poker was trying to write a Reliable UDP
protocol handler and having a lot of trouble with threads and timers
for some reasons. Fortunately, I discovered Erlang, quickly rewrote
my poker backend and have been happy since. That is until I
discovered Haskell :-). I'm now thinking of rewriting various chunks
of the engine in Haskell (hand ranking for example) to see how it
feels and what I gain. Concurrent Haskell coupled with transactional
memory looks attractive as well.

I also started with Lisp for my trading systems project (Uptick) but
was turned off even faster this time. I investigated what it would
take to write code that overloaded +, *, etc. for arrays or lists and
what it would take to optimize this code. It's possible but it's not
elegant or pleasant.

I love a good challenge and the challenge of learning Haskell is like
no other. It does require me to rewire my brain and to think
different. There are a number of applications where Haskell fits
nicely, google for papers on audio processing, robotics (Yampa), etc.
I have yet to find an application where Lisp would shine over
everything else.

     Joel