[Haskell-cafe] Haskell versus Lisp

Udo Stenzel u.stenzel at web.de
Fri Sep 16 09:29:03 EDT 2005

Mark Carter wrote:
> The free ones that work on
> Windows are GPL, which means that although somebody might be tempted to
> use them for personal projects, he is not going to sell the idea to his
> boss that stuff should be developed in Lisp.

Nonsense.  The copyright notice for GNU CLisp specifically clarifies
that you are allowed to distribute your clisp programs, whether
interpreted or compiled, under any terms you like.  Just don't touch
clisp internals.  Accompany the program with the source for CLisp and
you are clear.

Anyway, I knew I didn't want to learn lisp when I heard that an
implementation is not required to optimize tail calls.  That means deep
recursions are unreliable.  A functional language in which you have
to iterate instead of recurse?  Impossible!

Udo.
--
Did you know that if you took all the economists in the world and lined
them up end to end, they'd still point in the wrong direction?